We figure out how to remake, redesign and fabricate the things that can not be bought. We help our volunteers grow and develop skills they never knew they had.We now own over 20 pieces of vintage stock, including the famous 1918 USRA Light Mikado steam locomotive - the 4070 - that once provided motive power for the excursions through the Cuyahoga Valley.We also own the corporate name of the now defunct “Cleveland Terminal & Valley Railway,” an early railroad based out of Cleveland. We use the name for transporting our equipments for our excursions. When we are on the rails, we are truly a railroad - The CT&V.
With the help of our civic and business partners, MRPS is working to return the Roundhouse back to a locomotive repair shop with the back building turning back into a machine shop and a wood shop. We are developing it into one of Cleveland's major historical attractions – by restoring the 4070 back to an operating steam locomotive. It is part of the sights, sounds, smells and excitement we remember of an era that may be long gone, but that noone should forget.We envision the Roundhouse as an integral part of the rapidly developing project know as the “Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath,” a multi-community and multi-venue historical and recreational area stretching from Dover Ohio to Cleveland Flats.MRPS members share a passion for making steel, steam and oil moving large amount of weight. We get involved in repairing, restoring vintage railroad equipment of every size, type and description.
Founded in 1955 when a group of concerned citizens purchased the B&O
Roundhouse, slated for destruction, for $200,000 of their own money. The
other roundhouses in the Flats (New York Central, Nickel Plate,
Pennsylvania, etc) are all gone. MRPS now owns over 20 pieces of
Vintage rolling stock, including the 4070: a former Grand Trunk Western
1918 USRA light Mikado (2-8-2) steam locomotive that was featured in
movie "The Natural". Our home is the historic B&O Roundhouse on West
3rd Street in Cleveland Ohio in the industrial Flats district.
In addition to working on our vintage rolling stock, our long-range goal is to
restore the Roundhouse site and turn it into an educational and historical
railways museum - preserving our area's great railroading past for
generations to come. Built in the period 1905-1919, the B&O Roundhouse
once operated every day of the year, 24 hours a day. At its peak in the
1940s, it employed a staff up to 400. It was once the central locomotive
service center for one of the great rail lines that helped built Ohio’s industrial and economic might. Today, stalls 1 to 4 of the building are open and in stable condition. Stalls 6 to 10 are supported for future restoration. Stall 11 to 15 are completely gone. The infrastructure has decayed and many of the walls need work but we are slowly rebuilding it back to it former glory.