Many of us remember the old Pufferbelly restaurant on Depot Street in Berea that was originally the Berea Union Depot train station. Dedicated in 1876, it served the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway and the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway, both of which were incorporated into the New York Central Railroad. The depot ceased to serve as a railway depot in 1954.
The Berea Union Depot is now the home of the Berea Depot Restaurant and details are currently being negotiated for Midwest Railway Preservation Society to provide some displays for the restaurant’s interior. Of interest to them are items that were on display at The Great Lakes Science Center for the Science of Trains exhibit last winter, including the track board from the Cleveland Union Terminal, the wheel set and coupler. In the future they may possibly have an interest in buying a crossbuck and caboose for permanent display.
In return for the loan of our exhibits the Berea Depot Restaurant will donate $1.00 from every meal they sell for one weekend every month. The first weekend for these donations is scheduled for September 21st and 22nd and after that it will be third weekend of every month. They will also allow us to place a farebox for donations in their establishment and will hand out MRPS donation envelopes along with placing our logo on their menu.
Along with the displays, MRPS is planning on providing a mystery item that would be displayed for a period of time that the diners could submit their guess of what it is or what it was used for. A winner would receive a one year family membership to Midwest.
30 Depot St., Berea, OH
M-Th: 11a-10p | F: 11a-11p
S: 11p-11p | Su: 11a-9p
Sept 21, 22
Oct 21, 22
Nov 17, 18
Dec 15, 16