A group of Midwest field trippers brave the rain and pose in front of the Alco 4-8-2 L 3a Mohawk, Number 3001 steam locomotive. The locomotive was built for the New York Central Railroad in 1940 for both passenger and freight service and ran until its' retirement in 1957.
In the July edition of Marker Lights we highlighted the first part of the MRPS field trip for members that took place on Saturday June 15th. The Adlake manufacturing facility was the first stop, and after having lunch at a local diner the field trip continued at the National New York Central Railroad Museum a few minutes away.
The museum, founded in 1987 is a preservation site of both the local and national heritage of the New York Central Railroad. At one time, the New York Central Railroad was the second largest railroad in the United States with 11,000 miles of track covering eleven states and two Canadian provinces. The museum is housed in the old Elkhart freight house and contains many exhibits, some of which are interactive. One of these is a five track, two tier O gauge model railroad layout.
The museum also owns the New York Central passenger station in Elkhart across the tracks from the old freight house. The station was built in 1900 by the Lake Shore & Michigan Railroad and while it is not used for museum exhibits, it hosts four Amtrak trains every day. The museum also includes the undeveloped grounds of the two roundhouses that once serviced the railroad.
Besides the rolling stock shown in the photos that accompany this article there are many more pieces of interest on display on the museums storage tracks. These include a 250 ton crane and idler car, a NYC RR standard caboose circa 1905, a NYC RPO baggage car circa 1914, two B&O boxcars built in 1957 and many more too numerous to mention.
The museum is just a few hours from Cleveland via the Ohio Turnpike and is definitely worth a day trip for any rail afficianado.
An original Pennsylvania Railroad GG1 electric locomotive numbered 4882 that was built in 1939 for operation between Washington, D.C. and New York City. It passed to Penn Central in 1968 due to the merger of the two railroads and ran under its' own power until 1983. it is one of sixteen surviving GG1 units
Side view of the EMD E8 express passenger diesel locomotive number 4085. It was built in 1953 and is one of seven surviving locomotives out of sixty of this style built for the New York Central Railroad. Visitors can enter the locomotive and there are glass panels for viewing from the outside
nterior of the Illinois-Central passenger car number 2691 that is used for exhibits and private functions
Front view of the EMD E8 diesel locomotive on display
Exterior displays on the platform of the old Elkhart freight house loading dock
New York Central bay window caboose number 21084 circa 1963
Wall mural that originally hung inside the Adlake offices
One of two Illinois-Central coaches built in 1914 by the Standard Steel Car Company. This car, number 2691 (right), and car number 2694, were modernized in 1940 to match the appearance of the new streamlined cars. One car functions as the exhibit car and the other holds the Museum's archives.